Tuesday 25 March 2014

Cann't see why this won't work...

Sunday morning Swaledale.

Wood carving the natural berms heading into Arkengarthdale
 


A perculiar slow speed blow out destroys inner tube and tyre.  DBC blamed the whole thing on poor quality tyres...

This temporary trail side fix consisted of a butchered inner tube taped to the inside of the tyre to cover the slash in the side wall.  A new tube was installed and the whole fix fastened to the rim with three cables ties.

This lasted about 6-7km back to the road, and to be honest I didn't really slow up too much on the stoney descents so all in all a good fix!

Could the repair have been better?
 I think a better material could have been used to cover the hole in the side wall.  I have seen (empty!) toothpaste tubes to very effectively fix similar issues. I will now carry colgate along with a bigger stash of zip ties and gaffer tape in my repair kit. 
 
But, should it have happened in the first instance?  Should we / I  be inspecting our bikes more thoroughly?  ...I think so

    
MTB Mohawk 
New rubber! 

No comments:

Post a Comment